Saturday, February 4, 2012

This week in CBOD

Since Erin already through down a pretty nice post today I will keep it short...All CBODers are now doing PCAT at the end of every week. This has been very useful in developing skills most people don't even realize they don't have. The basic layout is this:
You look over a list of questions in a language you began learning 3 weeks ago. The list tells you which type of people you should ask the questions of and what you are trying to find out, generally speaking. After you hear how good your thai has gotten from your ajaan for a good half hour over lunch, you get on a bike and find some people to go talk to, oh yeah and that list was only for practicing.

This week we went to an elementary school, a high school and a hospital. We walk in, ask whoever we see if they have time to talk, in Thai, and then proceed to find out as much info as possible. The fruits of this venture are consistently impressive. I talked with two medical professionals who each graduated from the top Universities in Thailand. One was a psychotherapist and another a physical therapist*. I found out a lot about drug and pregnancy issues in this village and what sorts of things are commonly treated in this very small hospital. The kids at the schools have different things to teach us, much of it having to do with the state of education here, just by interaction. They are also excellent at helping to improve your Thai. At the end of the day we come out better at speaking, less scared to walk up and talk to someone, and this week, better TaCraw** players than last.

*One of my medical interviews was a gatuey (more later)
**TaCraw is a game most aptly described as hacky-sack volleyball soccer. I will be teaching you all this game when I get back. I love it.

Gotta go. RED

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog! Very interesting! How are you two progressing through your "stages" of adjustment? Also, I'm a little behind the curve as far as the acronyms, specifically CBOD, PCAT and Erin's version of CBOD (which acronym I can't remember). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may employ this challenge stateside. Could help me learn better English.

    ReplyDelete